Thursday, June 18, 2020

Moving from 2019 to 2020 in the world of Film, Television and Pandemic...

In 2019, I reunited with Stephanie Maslansky, with whom I had worked years ago on MTV's first movie: "Joe's Apartment", a comedy featuring a young Jerry O'Connell and a bevy of large cockroaches ("Museum Bugs" who even had their own Roach wrangler), directed by John Payson.

Stephanie has since brought her terrific eye to a great many television series and movies. In 2019, I worked as her assistant designer on the first 9 episodes of "F.B.I." Season 2. Having done "Homeland" Season 6, I've got both the F.B.I and C.I.A. covered in the world of costumes, uniforms and raid jackets!

Later in the year (and into early 2020), I worked briefly with the wonderful Renee Ehrlich Kalfus, on "Godmothered", a film that had a crack Boston crew of artisans working at the costume/wardrobe end. It is a treat in a business where there are plenty of people with spunk but not necessarily a lot of training to encounter people who've spent decades doing theatre, ballet, fine construction and dyeing. We would marvel daily at the speed and quality of their beautiful work.

Moving along in 2020, when the global Pandemic struck, I felt oddly equipped for it, having spent so much time on "I Am Legend" in a post-apocalyptic world. It was strangely familiar. In this reality, however, it is like being in a bad movie that won't end, but we go on.

Plenty of friends and folks in the costume field pulled out their sewing machines and turned out great looking face masks early on.

I had concerns that if the masks didn't have adequate filtration that the wearers would get a false sense of security. I started out making "Shop Towel" masks- stapled together accordions with rubber bands for ear loops for family and friends. People who had researched and tested various materials found this material to be about the best choice available if you could not get the materials the N-95 masks are made of.

Afterwards, I set forth on a mission to make masks striking a balance between looks, safety, comfort and breathability. Given the Pandemic situation, items ordered online took a long time to land- it took nearly a month before my first fabric order arrived, so I started out with a handful of fabric bits on hand and sacrificial pillowcases.

Having gone through 20 odd prototypes, I finally settled upon a recalibrated version of a pattern found online- a "3-D" mask. I was able to deliver masks to my hard working Doctor at Weill-Cornell/NY Presbyterian and her team. Their hospital and staff have been through hell and it felt good to be able to bring a bright spot into their day.

Below are pictures of some masks made during my sheltering in place. More to come.
Wishing everyone good health, healing, patience and love in this crazy time.















No comments: